Safety management requires strong domain knowledge and detailed understanding of good practice. Using our up-to-date knowledge on technological developments, we are able to advise operators and infrastructure controllers regarding applications in the field of safety.
Ricardo Rail offers access to an international network of safety professionals experienced in the multi-disciplinary world of railways.
How we can help
There are many potential technology solutions and strategies that can be implemented to protect passengers, the public and staff.
These can range from bespoke software products to Safety Management Systems (SMS) that can embed a culture of safety across every aspect of an organisation.
Our services help you to determine where best to direct your resources for maximum effect, including:
- Advice on the production and implementation of bespoke Safety Management Systems (SMS).
- Analysis and production of system safety requirements, including the development of quantitative and qualitative risk criteria.
- Production of risk models for specific applications and risk analysis, Quantified Risk Assessment (QRA) and Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA).
- Assessment of safety consequences and the application of pragmatic risk control.
- Application of the ALARP (as low as reasonably practical) principle.
- Working closely with operators and infrastructure controllers to develop their safety arrangements and support emergency planning reviews and exercises.
- This combination of technology and operational understanding allows us to give you practical advice and achievable solutions.
The benefits of Safety Management Systems in the rail sector
- System owners and operators can operate their transport system in the knowledge that safety management systems are properly defined and robustly implemented.
- The likelihood of injury and fatalities can be reduced. Lowering the risk to passengers, public and staff improves confidence, enhancing patronage and increasing revenue.
- Reducing accidents helps to reduce costs, enabling better use of manpower and equipment
- Testing emergency arrangements with an independent international assessment team increases confidence.
- We conducted a safety review of organizational changes within Network Rail, including a risk assessment of the impact of the changes.
- We have developed systems for the competence assessment of track engineers.
- We have undertaken world-wide benchmarking of safety management systems.
- For a number of international clients, we have planned and managed the execution of major emergency exercises to test and improve the emergency arrangements in place. Exercises have ranged from table top simulations to full multi-service live exercises in the field with up to 1000 participants.
- We undertook a review of new guidelines for safe working conditions for maintenance staff for ProRail (Netherlands), working in cooperation with its maintenance partners. Our work balanced the increased need for maintenance, due to heavier use of the rail network, with the requirements of health and safety legislation.