Next-generation driver management systems
Ricardo’s work on automotive Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) enables Rail Advisory Systems to be taken to the next level, with its ‘Sentience Rail’ technology.
Ricardo ‘Sentience Rail’ technology
- Provides a revolutionary system that warns the driver of static and dynamic hazards, including weather, the location of trackside workers, and other disruptive incidents.
- Links driver advice directly to the engine management system to optimize operation of on-board power systems.
- Enables the driver to quickly alert signal operators and other train crews of new low-level hazards without verbal communication.
- Improves the safety of trackside workers.
- Increases the efficiency of engine operation and hence reduces fuel consumption — in tests the automotive equivalent system delivered up to 24% savings in comparison with conventional powertrain operation.